Monday, October 27, 2008

Wear white boots in Berlin



Our trip continues as we travel from Nuremburg to Hannover (unremarkable) and then on to Berlin.  

My husband is driving us through Berlin to find a specific cafe he remembers.  Why can't we stop at that nice, new looking cafe, I ask him.  Why can't we stop at that one that looks like it was brought here from Paris?  As he drives by a dozen or so cafes that all look nice and warm.

Oh no, he remembers this very special one.  I'm cold and hungry, and I am dreaming of a nice cup of hot chocolate in a warm, cozy seat.  We drive down a dead end street, we drive to China, and he is still determined to go to that specific, special cafe he remembers.

On one street, every meter (this is Europe - think metric) or so stands a lovely young lady. Each lady is wearing high-heeled white boots that reach all the way to her thigh.  I realize they must be selling something.  They must be advertising those fancy white boots.  They all have very short skirts on, presumably to show off those boots.  A couple of the ladies are not even wearing skirts.  They are wearing leotards with their boots.  Perhaps they just came from a dance class?

There were several men stopping to talk to the white boot ladies.  The men must have been buying boots for their wives - how sweet!!!



Even though my husband grew up in Berlin, he kept getting lost, and we kept driving down that same street where the ladies were selling the boots.  I asked him to stop so I could get a pair, but he refused.  Perhaps he wants to surprise me with a pair for Christmas.

If you travel to Berlin, and you are female - just remember that white boots are all the rage right now.  Definitely get a pair and parade them on the street - you will fit in like a local!

We haven't been to Berlin in over 12 years, so when we finally found the 'special cafe', I felt as though I was transported back in time.  Back to a time when food didn't have to be good, tables didn't have to be clean and cafes could be cold and drafty.

Lovely


No comments: