Monday, August 25, 2008

A Teaching Moment

Today I enjoyed the beauty of a 94 degree day by agreeing to sit outside with my 8yo son at a local restaurant for lunch. We sat for a few moments watching the adorable petite birds peck around outside, looking for crumbs. They were the only others brave enough to enjoy lunch outside on such a day.



Tias, my son, looked thoughtfully for a moment and then stated that if he were president, he would make McDonald's illegal, because it is unhealthy. He quickly followed with, "can the president make something like McDonald's illegal?"

Okay, I did not intend to villainize a fast food restaurant. I merely intended to bring up my children appreciating the sheer joy of eating fresh, tasteful and healthy food. Somehow, in an 8yo's mind if you don't eat somewhere that all your friends frequent, it must be vilified.

I took the question as the opportunity it was to explain the three branches of government, created to dissuade such actions as the president outlawing restaurants he doesn't like. I watched his eyes glaze over as I moved on to philosophy. "How would you feel if someone outlawed sugar because it isn't healthy?" I followed with the idea that it is quite difficult to balance keeping people safe and allowing us humans the freedoms promised by our forefathers. *glaze*

We returned our attention to the lovely birds flitting around us. By this time, the waitress had dropped off our bread basket and scurried back into the air conditioned restaurant. We began tearing off pieces of the bread and throwing crumbs to the lone bird brave enough to venture close to us. The crumbs attracted other birds, and we enjoyed watching their interactions.

One bird, Birdie, was watching us with interest, looking out for where more crumbs might fall. Standing very close to Birdie was another bird that was slightly bigger and very loud. No matter where Birdie went the obnoxious bird was inches away squawking and manically fluttering its wings. We both knew from all the nature shows we had seen together that this was the male's lame attempt at courting. So, I steered to the subject of health.

"What methods do human males use to make themselves attractive to human females?" I received an answer in the form of a shrug.

I started listing ways I could think of, hoping he would take the bait and chime in. Instead I got another shrug and a muted 'maybe' in agreement.

I then took the opportunity to steer the conversation to 'gentlemanly behavior'. I began saying how girls are attracted to boys who are kind and treat others with respect. *glaze*

So, I got in some U.S. government, animal behavior science, philosophy and sociology lessons. I'm sure these morsels will be treasured for years to come.

No comments: