Monday, September 15, 2008

Tea party


We're trying to get back into the 'school' mode. One of the schooling activities that brings us together and we all enjoy is the tea party. I discovered this idea from Julie Bogart's Bravewriter website, bravewriter.com. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to make any baked goods today. That's a huge bummer because I love to bake. So, we pulled together some chocolate covered pistachios, some sweet crabapples from our csa, some smores left over from last night.





Julie posts adorable pictures of homeschool families having tea time. My kids wouldn't let me take their pictures, so I only got these.

We started our tea time by each picking a poem to share by reading aloud. Then, we continued our reading of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I had read another mother's attempt at getting her son to read this book. She could not get him to read it - he thought it was boring and dated. When she started reading it aloud to him (and he was 12 - way too old to admit to being read to), he started asking for it. I had the same experience when trying to get both of my kids to read it.

I went to dailylit.com and signed up to receive Huckleberry Finn per email daily - and it's free!!! I saved the emails, so we could read them during tea time. Now, it is hard to move on with our day, because we all want to hear about Huck's next round of mischief.

No comments: