Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Creepy and beyond . . .



There is a disturbing incident that I couldn't keep down and continues to bubble up in my memory coffers.

It all started in high school as most of these things do. There was a boy who had a crush on me, Mick. I considered him a good friend, but that was the extent of my interest.

He wanted us to be an 'item'.

The biggest problem with this issue was that all his friends were the only ones I was interested in dating. He had somehow forbidden his friends to date me (you know the ol' bros before hos' thing - not that I am or ever was a, you know, ho).

It was our senior year and all I wanted to do was date. I wanted to date every one of Mick's friend's. Somehow, I did manage to date quite a few of the forbidden friends, you know, on the downlow. (That whole 'bros before hos' thing can easily be gotten around.)

Anyway, I stayed in touch with Mick loosely through college and then we sort of drifted and lost touch.

Fast forward to our 20 year high school reunion. Yeah, I could have fudged and claimed it was my 10 year reunion, but I'm owning it. Anyway, my really good friend from high school called and asked me to come, so I did.

Once at the reunion, I was standing in the midst of all these strangers trying to remember who each of them is, and Mick walks up.

*note: I'm taking the high road here by not commenting on his appearance.

He came up to me and asked me if I still all had the poetry he had written to me in high school!!!??!! I know, creepy, but it gets worse.

I sort of stuttered that I could look in some boxes, but really didn't know what to say and found a way to wander off.

A little while later, Mick's wife approached me and introduced herself. She was sweet and soft spoken. She reminded me of a kindergarten teacher. She told me how highly Mick had spoken of me. This is a bit creepy in itself, as my husband has no idea who Mick is.

Then she dropped the bomb: "He keeps a picture of you in his bedside table!"

WHAT!!!!?!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!?

I haven't spoken to Mick in over 15 years. This is so wrong in so many ways:

1. Creeeeeeeeeeepppyyy!!!!!!!!

2. His wife knew this piece of information and actually told me.

3. Creeeeeeeeeeepppyyy!!!!!!!!

4. Creeeeeeeeeeepppyyy!!!!!!!!

Did I mention I'm having nightmares?

22 comments:

The Mother said...

This is exactly why I didn't go to my high school reunion.

Or college, for that matter.

Did I just date myself?

Ranran said...

it just proves that you're really pretty. ;-)

Jen said...

That is creepy. I haven't been to any of my reunions in 25 years, I can't believe it has been that long, and I don't think anyone has a picture of me in their bedside table but if they did it would really worry me and I might want to change my phone number.

Jane Doe said...

Wow, that's really, really creepy!

Angi said...

Wowww that IS really creepy. I would be WAY less than happy if I was married and my husband kept a photo of some girl he liked in high school on his BEDSIDE TABLE. That's just beyond weird.

Kirsten said...

Damn girl! I guess when ya got it, ya got it!!

lilaphase said...

@ The MOther - Don't worry. No more reunions for me!

@Ranran - if I were aishwaryaraibachchan (the person you see if you google most beautiful woman in the world), it wouldn't be creepy. It would be expected, right?

@Jen - phone # changed - check, name changed - check, witness protection?

@Jane Doe - I Knowwwwww, right?

@Angi - I would have gotten rid of that photo for him, right?

@Kirsten - funny!

Vic said...

Eww! (I had someone I didn't even remember (a cop now!!) tell me at my reunion that he was obsessed with me and had used the police databases to try and track me down. Was he hoping I would have a record? So weird. And scary. I sympathize)

Unknown said...

wow.
you must REALLY make a lasting impression.

is it creepy that I have pictures of my first love still?

does it become less creepy if my hubby knows very little of my first love, and knows even less about the pictures I have of first love still?

if it is creepy, then I am just kidding. ;)

lilaphase said...

@Vic - Have you considered the witness protection program?

@Stacie - Uhmmmm, and how many times a day to you look at said photo?

Unknown said...

Whoa, that guy could be a serial killer who hasn't been found out yet. Stay away, stay far far away.

Mark said...

I'm so glad that reunions are a rarity here in the UK so we get to avoid these sorts of issues. It would be especially bad for me as I went to an all boys school run by monks.

lilaphase said...

@ettarose - I Know!

@Mark - now THAT sounds creepy!

Da Old Man said...

So, you have a really creepy stalker?

Oy!

Margo said...

This is so funny. I think sometimes people like this Mick come into our lives just so we know somebody upstairs is there messing with us. Your somebody's "one who got away," and his wife knows?! I would be having nightmares too.

brokenteepee said...

Very creepy. Would you like me to send Michael the goat over there to butt him?

lilaphase said...

@Da Old Man - Exactly!

@Margo - yeah, funny!

@Pricilla - Please! Butt away!!!

ArtSparker said...

Wow, maybe you want to skip the next reunion...

The wife is more nervous-making than Mick.

rosedale's 4head said...

I adore your candor: "(you know the ol' bros before hos' thing - not that I am or ever was a, you know, ho)."

rosedale's 4head said...

oh yeah, almost forgot...the new header is striking! still lovin the lips!

Staci said...

I hope he never finds out that you have a blog. You're going to have a cyber stalker on your hands. Worse yet, I hope he never finds out where you live now. (Cue the Psycho music...)

lilaphase said...

@artsparker - yeah, I don't think I'll go to any more reunions!

@flawsnall - thanks for the compliments. I enjoyed making my banner, but trying to format took me a whole day, and I still failed. I guess blog formatting is not my thing.
I'm really sorry for your loss. It's nice to have you back around!

@Staci - I know. Thanks for adding to the creepiness with sound effects!