Thursday, April 2, 2009

My daughter is destined for greatness, or at least a close-up of some sort


I now know that my daughter is destined to be a famous movie star - on the big screen.

How do I know this, since she is only fourteen and not interested in acting?

I know this because we went to the orthodontist today, and he informed me of a procedure that she will be getting in the near future.  

There was no consultation before he told me this today.  There was no question about how far we want to go in order to achieve dental perfection.  There was no mention of the cost of this procedure or weighing our options.

I was told that after the next visit, if the exactly particular spacing has occurred between the specific teeth, then we will make an appointment immediately following that ortho appointment with a dentist.  

Have you ever tried to get an appointment with a dentist immediately for cosmetic reasons?

Once we have successfully performed the phenomenal task and been granted the appointment, we are supposed to come back into the ortho office to have a bracket removed from the offensive tooth.  Then, we are supposed drive over to the cosmetic dentist that will miraculously give us an emergency appointment for the procedure.  Once the cosmetic procedure has been completed to perfection (and I still have no idea how much that procedure will cost), we are supposed to drive back to the orthodontist to have the bracket put back on so that my daughter's destiny can be complete.

She will be ready for the close-ups that her profession will require.  Why else would they have me jump through all these hoops?

I'm not even sure I really believe in braces.  But, since this investment will eventually pay off and replenish our retirement fund through the movie star's earnings, I guess it's all worth it! 


  

11 comments:

Shawn said...

It's hard to argue with your logic. I had braces as a teenager. Not a lot of fun, but it's something you thank your parents for later.

The Mother said...

Gosh, I hope that the procedure works and you all become INSTANTLY rich and famous.

Hasn't worked for my four boys, yet, all of whom required massive amounts of orthodontia. They're still here, with me, not earning their keep.

But maybe YOU'LL be the lucky one!

(I'll keep my fingers crossed.)

Unknown said...

i'm going to just put veneers on my kids, screw braces.

;)

Margo said...

these professionals are very obsessed with non-existent perfection. The Egyptians supposedly put rocks in their mouth to the same end. Both of mine had major bite issues, so it was necessary for their "health". We can only send one of them to college now.

37paddington said...

Ahhhh, we got a very similar call this week about my fourteen year old's teeth. We were asked to please make an immediate appointment with a certain cosmetic dentist for a second opinion based on a certain new 3-D imaging procedure focused on a particular tooth in my girl's mouth that is not even visible when she smiles! No mention of the cost of this cutting-edge procedure, or even the necessity of going in another direction, should the second opinion differ from the first opinion. With too much on my plate, I haven't yet made the call. It surfaces in my mind every now and then and gets instantly crowded out by all the more immediate concerns. But then again, maybe I'm cheating us all out of her future stardom and fabulous earning potential! Funny post.

Lidian said...

I can't believe they're not just telling you about an option you have, but ordering you around!

Jena Isle said...

Well, it has been said, that when you can afford, there is no excuse for being physically ugly. Go for it as long as it is for her benefit. Good luck.

lilaphase said...

@The Shark Tank - Sure, I had braces too - they allowed me to walk without bumping my knees into my teeth.

@The Mother - I'm hopefully optimistic. Perhaps we could even spend her college fund, since it is probably unnecessary.

@Stacie - There you go! Now we're talking. Why waste money on braces when we can just go for ultimate perfection!

@Margo - Thanks for the idea. I'll try putting a rock in my son's mouth to forego braces for him.

@Angela Lister - When I start to hear of others having the same 'issue', I wonder if there was a conference for ortho and dentists to find new possibilities for income potential.

@Lidian - I know. And he already 'made the space' in her mouth for this procedure, so I don't know how we could 'undo' it.

@Jena Isle - Did you just call my daughter ugly?
: )

Jena Isle said...

Hello Lila,

No, that's not what I mean...I apologize. Your daughter is beautiful even with the uneven teeth.

The statement is a general statement often heard from moneyed people.

Jena Isle said...

There is always room for improvement in anything physical. Even actresses go under the knife. Cheers,

rosedale's 4head said...

My 14 year old's braces were so expensive, mid 90s; I can't even imagine what the cost is now...but I think braces, a fourteen year old, a little cosmetic touch up, and a beautiful smile is sooooooo way way way worth it all...it makes a difference....

Just don't be upset when she leaves the retainer at a restaurant or eatery...and stock up on wax---the rubberbands will be so annoying and you'll hear it all...just keep in mind how 'more' beautiful she will be and the confidence she will have... if she starts asking or even requiring other 'work'---then I'd be concerned....braces, a little orthodontia and 14 are second nature, they go hand in hand...enjoy the phase!