Saturday, March 21, 2009

I fart in your general direction . . .


Disclaimer - If you have never seen a Monty Python movie or if you have no idea what Spamalot is, or if you did not know that Spamalot is a musical version of the movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (much of it word for word), then you may want to skip reading this post or skip down to an important issue in italics below.


My mom called me yesterday to ask if I would go with her to see Spamalot.  I enjoyed myself some Monty Python back in the day.  So I said - sure, why not.

I was never one to randomly spew quotes from the Monty Python movies as many of my friends did in high school.  Even though I had seen The Holy Grail and The Life of Brian, I could not figure out what they were talking about when a friend said something like, 
"Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of silly persons!"

So, I would say something ridiculous like, "huh, what are you talking about?"  and then they would act like they had a private club that I would never be cool enough to join or something.

So, anyway, my mom and I went to the show.

This brings me to one big, huge, giant major pet peeve -

Would everyone please rise up with me in protest of one thing - the standing ovation.  

I don't get it.  Regardless of how mediocre a show is nowadays - no matter what - there will be a standing ovation.  If you go to the crappiest hometown rinkydink show, there will be one. I get so frustrated by the whole thing that I try to sit them all out.  It's not easy.  My husband and I just look at each other as everyone starts standing up and both do a big eyeroll instead.  

The true big O was supposed to only be for those rare special moments when you just can't contain the amorous elation bursting through your veins due to a performance, it is an event where your mere mortal body cannot contain the vibrations coursing through your flesh.  The big O is then both spontaneous and unmistakable.

I'm protesting the whole 'fake Big O'.  I am afraid I will lose my grip on the difference between the real thing and all these little fako's if my fellow audience members are constantly faking it!  Come on, people!

I'm not saying Spamalot didn't deserve a Big O.  I'm saying I don't know anymore when it's real and when it's fake.

Stepping off my soapbox and back to the show with my mom.  We really enjoyed it - it was absolutely hilarious, and as we were leaving I mentioned something about how so much of the dialogue came directly from the movie.

Mom: "no, honey - it was originally a musical, then a movie."  

Me: "I don't think so, Mom."

Mom: "It was the musical, Camelot.  You do realize that the Lady of the Lake is NOT Guenevere, and I can't believe they called Merlin, Tim?  Why would they do that?"

Me: "Mom, have you ever seen a Monty Python movie?"

Mom:  "No, I don't think so."


10 comments:

The Mother said...

You obviously have been quite reprehensibly lacking in your education of your mother.

(No one escapes the Python Inquisition. Not at my house)

The standing ovation question-- Give yourself a standing O for airing this major grievance. We live in Houston, so far from Theaterland, that I guess people have never SEEN real, standing O quality theater. Or at least that's the excuse I usually give for the stupidity.

Hubby and I have WALKED OUT of a few shows, only to get a call from a friend who tells me that they STILL got a standing O.

Don't get it. Maybe now I know how your mom felt halfway through Spamalot.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yep, we have the Fake O problem here, too.

I had a prof who once ran into Terry Gilliam on a plane. He told Mr. Gilliam that he was using Monty Python in his college satire course. The response? "Oh, well, that's the best revenge, then, isn't it?"

Margo said...

The standing O belongs only in the privacy of one's home. I love Spamalot and have decided it's a pretty good gauge on how uptight people are or are not to the degree that they did or didn't like it. Aren't mothers great?

ArtSparker said...

Monty Python is enjoying a long afterglow...not that there's anything wrong with that.

lilaphase said...

@The Mother - I know I was remiss in educating my mother, but come on - she was teaching psych 101 at a university during that time. How could she have missed it?

@Susan Helene Gottfried - That's hysterical. What a hoot to meet Terry Gilliam on a plane.

@Margo - Exactly! and my mother did love Spamalot, even though she probably didn't get most of it. Great new gauge for judging character.

@Art Sparker - Since Monty Python isn't mortal, he may indeed live forever.

Marie said...

OMG, I HATE the obligatory Standing O!!!! It just takes one idiot who has really low standards to get the ball rolling and the next thing everyone is up, afraid of not being part of the crowd.

Well, I love not being part of the crowd. As a matter of fact, I usually hate the crowd as well.

But I have been an MP quoter ever since I first watched it in college in 1972. EEEECK! That is a really long time ago! Did I say college? I meant, um, kindergarten. lol

Unknown said...

ha. you said "standing O"

channeling beavis and butthead.

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

You have a fun blog. Found you through Entrecard. I have a habit of clicking through widgets to other blogs.
I also am a homeschooler. visit my blogs, if you'd like.

Send Chocolate

Sweet Schoolin'



Think about putting the followers widget on your page so that people from Blogger can follow you and find your blog again. I pretty much gave up my reader...

T.

Halahblue said...

My mother was the first person to turn me onto Monty Python. I can thank my mom for all my 26 years (so far) of coolness. She also introduced me to the Go-Gos.

Shawn said...

What do you think of applause at the movie theater? This seems to be a growing epidemic lately. Whenever it breaks out, I'm like. . .uh, I don't think the director is here.