Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Weird


A few nights ago I had a dream about an acquaintance. I really don't know her that well, but our kids are friends.

I don't remember the dream or anything about it. I know it was about her because I have this sick feeling whenever I think about calling her or even emailing her to arrange our kids getting together.

Remember that feeling you got back in school when the weird kid who sat next to you in chemistry started giving you candy and you struck up a friendship? and everything was fine until you found a note in your locker from that weird kid that asked you to be his boyfriend? Then you didn't know if it was really from him or if his friends were playing a trick on him or if your friends were playing a trick on you? but you got a creepy feeling, anyway, and you didn't know what to do. So you just avoided him and when he offered you candy, you said no thanks, and everything was really weird? You know that feeling?

That's the exact feeling I have about this poor innocent mother of my kid's friend when I have to interract with her.

I feel like she made an incredibly uncomfortable and unreciprocated move on me. I know she didn't.


I'm so weird. I can't communicate with her at all - not by phone or text or email or blog comment - please tell me she doesn't read my blog. I even canceled my kid's playdate with her kid!

I have issues.

11 comments:

Ranran said...

doe she have an attitude problem?

The Mother said...

Trust your instincts. I have found very little merit in my kids' friends' mothers.

I'm not sure whether that says more about my kids' immature taste in friends, or my mature (as in aged, not as in wise) distaste for other women in general.

Margo said...

Whenever I have someone around like that (almost all my daughter's friend's mothers :) it helps if I just kind of lay down the ground rules by establishing the least painful type of communication, and always making the first move as a way of controlling the situation. Email is my favorite, but I still sometimes hate it. But it's worth it to make myself so then I don't feel like such a guilt ridden idiot for evading them. Whether it's your problem or theirs, or a little of both, it doesn't really matter... if you're meant to be best buds that will eventually happen anyway. On the other hand if this is unusual for you to react this way to someone, I'd totally honor your instinct to avoid her and not beat yourself up for it. The dream might be trying to tell you something, either about her or yourself.

lilaphase said...

@ranran - I think the attitude problem is mine.

@The Mother - That's a bit scary coming from THE Mother.

@Margo - I hope the dream isn't trying to tell me something about myself, because then I have to break the news to my husband that our marriage is a farce - it's starting to sound like a bad Lifetime movie!

Shawn said...

Dreams can be weird like that. I remember having a sex dream about a coworker a few years ago. She wasn't even my type. But for a while after that, I could barely look her in the eye.

Unknown said...

roflmao.

oh, you want real advise?

um, yeah. I don't have any.

trust your gut???
how's that?

lilaphase said...

@The Shark Tank - Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like you totally got me *pointing finger back and forth from shark tank to lilaphase*

@Stacie - thanks for the uhhhh . . . advice?

JD at I Do Things said...

I DO know that feeling, but it usually passes a day or two after the dream.

That must've been a pretty intense dream. Perhaps you need hypnotherapy?

lilaphase said...

@JD at I do things - hypnotherapy is a good idea. Can you do it so I don't have to?

rosedale's 4head said...

This post cracked me up! i couldn't help but laugh at all the posts, especially your responses to everyone, Lila, they are hilarious. the only advice i have about this is go with instinct---reread Kate Chopin's "The Storm"--i teach it all the time and you might find the best advice there. don't think you need therapy!

lilaphase said...

Thanks for the compliments and for sending me into 'The Storm'.

Perfectly tumultuous - such as life!