Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rushin' to conclusions


My family was here for the weekend. It was supposed to be our Christmas get-together, but my dad hurt his back blowing leaves before Christmas.

This is something we all have to look forward to - hurting ourselves through mundane tasks?

Nooooooo - the opportunity to duck out of obligations at the last minute, inconveniencing dozens of people, changing everyone's plans with one simple, sorry excuse.

The weekend was quite uneventful. Well uneventful for everyone else, because someone had to get the house ready, make all the beds, plan all the food, buy all the groceries, do all the cooking, launder all the sheets and towels, etc., and I'm sure you know who did it all.

I'm exhausted. My butt is glued to the sofa, and I'm thinking of some simple, sorry excuses to duck out of my current obligations which include getting up to change the volume on the surround sound for the tv, or getting a blanket to cover my feet.

Meanwhile, we are watching the U.S. Figure Skating championships. My daughter skates and has high hopes for her figure skating career. Shhhhh, don't tell her there is no such thing.

Sample conversation:

husband: she must be Russian

daughter: this is the U.S. championships - Hellooooo, that means only people from the U.S. of A!

husband: she's a Russian immigrant

daughter: she's from FLORIDA!!!

husband: 80% of Floridians are Russian immigrants - they like to be warm. Those two must be married.

daughter: DAD!!!!!! She's only 15!!!!!

husband: Those Russians like to marry young, don't they.

I'm not making this up. This is what just happened in our humble abode while I sit with my butt still glued.

note: please don't take offense if you are Russian or from Florida or a Russian immigrant living in Florida or a Florida emigrant living in Russia. No harm was meant.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

In our house everyone drives my 11 year old crazy making fun of Hannah Montana. It gets very loud with her taking offense even though they are not talking about her personally.

ArtSparker said...

Sarah Michelle Gellar, the former Buffy the Vampire Slayer, was a pretty serious skater at one point. Go ahead - ask me anything!

Angi said...

Haha...that conversation between your husband and daughter cracked me up. Poor girl. ;-)

lilaphase said...

@ettarose - as they become adolescents at least they can provide some entertainment!

@artsparker - I'm beginning to worry

@angi - verbal torture? please don't report us!

iceah said...

hay! we moms know how you feel specially those stay at home moms like us c: relax for a while mommy c:

Kevin McKeever said...

Your Dad is not far off. Floridians are into skating Russian mail-order brides.

lilaphase said...

Right!

I forgot about the mail order bride aspect.

37paddington said...

very funny! but i can tell your daughter and husband are good friends by the way neither one tries to edit one iota of what comes to mind.

was also intrigued by your secret advice for bloggers (on point!) and loved your posts about being sick/ taking care of the sick. i'm right there now. i write about family, too. stop by my page when you get a moment. 37paddington.blogspot.com. (i'm adding you to my blogroll.)

Unknown said...

great conversation...lol.

Single PAP said...

that's hilarious!

rosedale's 4head said...

I love love this post! What a healthy and honest conversation. Kids are so precocious and they get to a point where you don't have a choice but to be frank with them. Reminds me of me and my Jenn. She was so ahead of me sometimes.